Places of Interest in Westerham and the Surrounding Area
St. Mary’s Church
Distance 0.1 miles (0.16 km)
The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin is located at the north east corner of the Village Green. Dating back to the 14th century, the Church’s registers record the baptism of General James Wolfe (who was born in the Old Vicarage) and three of Sir Winston Churchill’s grandchildren in its font, as well as many thousands of other local residents.
Click on the picture to visit the St. Mary’s church website
Distance 0.2 miles (0.32 km)
Quebec House is the birthplace of General James Wolfe and stands on what is now known as Quebec Square. It is named after his victory at the Battle of Quebec, and the house’s coach-house contains an exhibition on the battle and on Wolfe’s life.
The house itself contains memorabilia on Wolfe’s birth at the house on 2 January 1727, and his life and death. The house was originally built in the 16th century, though it was rebuilt in the 18th and 20th centuries.
Click on the picture to visit the Quebec House website
Squerryes Court and Gardens
Distance 0.6 miles (1 km)
It is surrounded by 20 acres of attractive and historic gardens which include a lake, restored parterres and an 18th century dovecote.
Click on the picture to visit the Squerryes Court website
Distance 1.7 miles (2.7 km)
The rooms and gardens remain much as they were when he lived here, with pictures, books, maps and personal mementoes strongly evoking the career and wide-ranging interests of this great statesman.
Click on the picture to visit the Chartwell website
Distance 5.0 miles (8 km)
Down House is the former home of the English naturalist Charles Darwin and his family. Originally built as a farmhouse around 1650, and it was extended in 1778. It is located in Downe, a village 5.0 miles north of Westerham.
It was in the house that Darwin worked on his theories of evolution by natural selection. It is now a museum and in 2009 was formally proposed by the UK Government as a World Heritage Centre.
Click on the picture to visit the Down House website
Distance 7.6 miles (12.2 km)
Hever Castle, in the village of Hever, was the seat of the Boleyn family. It began as a country house, built in the 13th century and converted into a manor in 1462 by Geoffrey Boleyn, who served as Lord Mayor of the City of London.
Some time after 1505, the Boleyn family moved in, and Anne Boleyn (the future wife of Henry VIII of England) grew up here.
Click on the picture to visit the Hever Castle website